Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Consignments don't always save you money

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I found a consignment shop in our area. They had a lot of nice stuff, but I quickly found out that you don't always save as much money at a consignment shop as you think you do! Oh, I got some good deals --a very nice changing table for $25, an L.L.Bean bunting bag for $10, and various articles of clothing, books and videos for just a few dollars apiece.

But they wanted a hundred dollars or more for used bassinets with visible wear and tear on them. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $125 for a bassinet with frayed edges, when I can pick up a lower end new one for $200 or less! And some of their clothes...oy. I'd find shirts for $5 and $6, and pants for $12 - $15. Newsflash: you can get clothes BRAND NEW for those prices. Granted, they'd be Target and the like, rather than Gap... but used Gap clothing or brand new Target clothing? Used clothes that you're paying for the brand name in order to have, or brand new?

The choice should be clear!

No comments: